So I’ve been working some pretty long shifts for oh too many days straight now which honestly I’ve begun to enjoy. Not only do I need the money but it sure beats sitting here staring at the wall. Yesterday the team I am on closed out another campaign and the new one doesn’t start until tomorrow. They do have another team that does commercial polls but there is required training and I am still waiting for the next session. Honestly aside from the ability to get more hours I really have little interest.
I absolutely love to follow politics and while I tend to refuse to argue politics I enjoy the fact that due to this wonderful internet full of blogs and video streams I can self educate and compare all sides of a story from multiple sources. The fact that I get paid (albeit crap wages) now to poll people without bias on political views is pretty cool. Today though I am off and I need to ensure that I stay out of trouble.
Yesterday evening started out with me in a great mood, I rocked it at work and came home to a cellular repeater that my cell phone company sent me free of charge due to network issues that I have been having. I was incredibly excited to tear the box open and attempt to set this fancy new toy up. After a couple hours of fighting (I’ve worked on cellular devices for several years in the past and am pretty well versed in these things) I simply gave up and called. Cue attitude degradation…..
First call, we’ll re-register it on the network and call you back in a half hour to see results. Call back, oh it’s still not working lets try this and that and then send you to a specialist. After 20 minutes on hold waiting for the specialist I got through, funny but I used to rip people dealing with tech support calls but now having been on the other end I tend towards a nicer attitude. The specialist was awesome though, he checked everything all the way down to issues with the panel antennas in the area.
And here it comes… Rolling “Modernization” in the area hence the phone switching protocols as they upgrade equipment expected to last until Sept 14th. Okay so I get to expect a month of bad service and have no fix or recourse? Nope, and there went my good mood. I thanked the gentleman for at least finding something as I always hated it when problems would magically fix themselves or nobody could ever find an issue. At least now I know what the issue is. And then my laptop gets all funky with a bad update and begins rebooting itself every time I try to accomplish something AUUUGGGHHH.
SO having myself in a bad mood I begin to stew on things going on, which of course doesn’t help. I found myself emotionally exhausted and actually went to bed early, aside from the nightmares of which I had several I indeed got more sleep than I am used to. My normally up at 4:30 ass slept until 9:15 before I drug myself out of bed for coffee and my paper. And this is where todays post starts to ramble and get a little serious.
I was aware of this yesterday but with everything going on I didn’t spend much time thinking about it. I’d like to get serious here and think through some very recent events. Yesterday there was a deadly terrorist attack in Barcelona in which a van was used to murder over a dozen (still tabulating breaking news so I have no absolute number to give). Later in the day, a second attack was said to have been thwarted about 60 miles away with 5 suspects dead at the time of this posting. Last weekend on my home soil of the US, we had our own nightmare with terrorism in Charlottesville. Unfortunately Charlottesville was a domestic attack during a protest event.
Again I will state that I try not to argue politics, my only comments on the Charlottesville situation are direct and as follows:
- While I disagree with the organizers of the event in many ways they have the right to peaceful protest
- I also disagree with the protesters of the event (Anti-fa) and think that they have tended towards violence in the past and this should be examined
- In my opinion had Anti-fa not shown up the initial event would have accomplished nothing more than a small blip on the radar, because a clash happened there is now a large amount of coverage thus increasing racial discord.
- Despite our amazingly increased technology, education, and improved civilization as a whole I cannot help but wonder if we are running backwards in terms of race and gender simply because people feel the need to self marginalize to “make a point”
Anyone is free to disagree or agree with me, these are simply my thoughts on the localized issue. I spent many times many hours this week polling people across the US on this very incident and expect next week to be very centered on the Barcelona situation, things of this nature create incredibly strong views and while interesting I find it quite sad that I am asking such questions. I do believe that knowing opinion statistics and how people feel right or wrong is a good thing but sometimes the very nature of the questions get depressing. The fact that people are so charged up that they cannot simply sit down and have a discussion just fries my ass, we don’t have to agree to be civil.
Back to the Barcelona situation, I am trying not to form any opinions as of yet since information is still emerging and of course some is fabricated or assumption based. While journalism is important if your not aware by now that the media has a tendency to jump and report bad information due to either bias or the need for reader/viewership I probably cannot help you navigate unbiased thought. My initial thoughts however are as follows:
- This situation is incredibly tragic and brings attention yet again that we are not simply one people or global kumbaya group instead we are a planet with several different civilizations with different views
- Simply because at the time of this writing ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, there is little tangible proof that this is the case (see the next point)
- It is important that we all wait for tangible information to be complete before passing judgement, it has happened many times in the past where a terrorist group has taken responsibility for something that was not connected to that group simply for the shock value (remember terrorism is based on shock so to take advantage of this type of fabrication does work in the groups favor)
- While the US sits in the throes of a race “Cold War” it’s important to not forget that the world itself is engaged in not one but several religious and principal based wars that are in all respects not “cold”
- Throughout history civilization has always been at battle and while I would like to think we have evolved beyond the human nature of civil conquest I need to remind myself that evolution takes time and we simply aren’t there as humans yet
I may write on these situations again later though I really would prefer to be more positive and uplifting. The raw reality is that seeing events such as this unfold and how much of the opinions expressed about these events sometimes lead to an even more explosive tone it becomes something that I think about and must write to keep my thoughts from swallowing me whole. As for today I’m off to spend some time cleaning out the storage unit and hopefully accomplishing something positive rather than stewing in the negative events I just vomited into this blog.
Stay engaged but open to opposing views before forming opinions, use your brain cells not your fists.